Blood Bank Success Stories
Blood Bank Super Heroes
Click here to subscribe to
our email newsletter.
Enroll your dog or cat in the NorthStar VETS Blood Bank Service for Dogs and Cats
Healthy dogs and cats can help less fortunate animals by becoming blood donors for our program.
To get on our potential donor screening list, call 609.259.8300, email us or take our online interactive survey.
Exotic pets are needed, too! Get more information.
Read success stories
View our Blood Bank super heroes
We're Looking for a Few Great Donors
Many pet parents aren't aware that, just as in human medicine, blood products can be a life-saving resource for critically ill or injured pets. Time is of the utmost importance when blood and plasma products are required, and can often be difficult to find.
Fortunately, NorthStar VETS offers an in-house blood bank service with inventory at the ready. Blood products are donated through a local, all-volunteer, canine and feline donor network - pets just like yours. The donation process is easy and fast and includes lots of affection and treats.
Blood Donation Benefits
Being a blood donor is a very special and unique opportunity. We want to show our appreciation by giving back to you and your pet as well. NorthStar VETS provides all donors:
- A complimentary and thorough physical examination at each donation
- A comprehensive blood screening, including a copy of all lab work for your records
- Free blood typing in case your pet ever needs emergency care or a blood transfusion
- Free blood transfusion should your pet ever need one, receiving one unit of blood for every unit donated
To ensure your pet's safety, and the safety of the blood products for our patients, all donors must adhere to the following requirements:
- Be of a friendly, calm disposition, and easy to restrain
- Dogs must weigh more than 50 lbs.
- Cats must be indoor-only and weigh more than 10 lbs. with a lean body mass
- Must be current on all vaccinations (vaccination certificates required)
- Must be free of infectious disease
- Cannot be receiving any medications for chronic conditions
- Must be current on heartworm, flea, and tick preventative
- Be between 1 and 8 years of age
- Must not have received a blood transfusion
Download NorthStar VETS Blood Bank Donor Agreement or take our online interactive survey
The Donation Process
The blood collection process is almost completely painless, and takes only 10-20 minutes. While donating, your pet will enjoy lots of attention from NorthStar VETS' dedicated staff, and immediately afterwards, fluids will be given as well as lots of treats - the pet equivalent of juice and cookies!