Dentistry and Oral Surgery
Emergency & Critical Care
Rehabilitation & Pain Management
Theriogenology (Reproductive Medicine)
Click here to subscribe to
our email newsletter.
New clients: Register your pet with NorthStar VETS online and
Complete the Cardiology form questionnaire
Just like humans, companion animals can have heart (cardiac) and lung (pulmonary) problems. These conditions fall into two categories:
- Congenital (present from birth)
- Acquired (they develop over time)
Seeing a doctor who specializes in cardiac conditions can help your pet achieve the best possible heart and lung health - and that's exactly what you'll find at NorthStar VETS. Our Cardiology Department is staffed by highly trained veterinarians who specialize in diseases that affect the heart and lungs of companion animals.
The Services We Provide
We provide a full range of cardiopulmonary diagnostic and treatment services to ensure the best-possible quality of life for your companion:
- Cardiac consultation
- Heart murmur evaluation
- Breed screens for congenital and acquired heart disease
- Thoracic and cardiac echocardiography (ultrasounds)
- Electrocardiogram (ECG/EKG) interpretation
- Diagnosis of thoracic and pericardial neoplasia (abnormal tissue growth)
- Removal of fluid from the thorax (pleurocentesis), the abdomen (abdominocentesis) and the pericardium (pericardicentesis)
- Pre-doxorubicin (brand name: Adriamycin) treatment evaluation to determine if your pet's heart is healthy enough to withstand this cancer treatment
- Pre-Radioiodine (I-131) treatment evaluation to determine if your pet's heart is healthy enough to withstand this hyperthyroid treatment
- Pre-anesthetic evaluation
- Pacemaker implantation
The Conditions We Treat
Among the most common conditions our veterinary cardiologists treat are:
- Congestive heart failure
- Pericardial and pleural space disease and neoplasia
- Pulmonary (lung) disease
- Congenital cardiac disease (patent ductus arteriosus, pulmonic stenosis, aortic stenosis, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy)
- Acquired cardiac disease (valvular insufficiency, dilated cardiomyopathy, muscle disorders, pericardial disease)
Expert, Compassionate Care for Your Pet
When you come to NorthStar VETS, you can expect our team to treat your pet with the same care and compassion as our very own, and to provide you with exceptionally attentive service.
To make a referral or schedule a consultation with our Cardiology Department,
simply call NorthStar VETS at 609.259.8300.
Jeanette Malatesta - Client Liaison
Pet Parents: Contact Jeanette at 609-259-8300 x1204 or at email@example.com to schedule your appointment and get all pre-consultation paperwork set up.
Veterinarians: Contact Jeanette with questions about in-hospital cases, or to discuss a pending case. You can also refer a case online.